The AALS 2012 Fall Business Meeting & Educational Conference was held October 5 & 6, 2012, at the Holiday Inn Express in Paragould, Arkansas. On Friday evening, legal education was provided by Carolyn York and Lisa Rookey, with the Craighead County Circuit Clerk’s office on the subject of Ethics and Dealing with the Circuit Clerk’s office. On Saturday, legal education continued with the first session being presented by attorney Scott Jackson who spoke on Employment Law 101-Practical Advice for Handling Employment Related Matters/EEOC. The second session was entitled Mediation & Attorney Ad Litem Cases and was presented by attorney Todd Williams and attorney Kimberly Bibb.
After enjoying lunch from Honeybaked Ham, the Fall Business meeting was called to order by AALS President Janet Gordan. We had six chapters present for the meeting, 2 members-at-large, and one first timer in attendance. Rules of the Board Meeting were read and the consent agenda was utilized. Reports of officers, functional directors, committee chairs and state directors were published in The Informer. Kimmi Wiles was appointed official time keeper and Nannette Green and Tina Ray were appointed as tellers. The Treasurer’s Report was approved as printed.
Under action items, the following EC recommendations were approved by the Board:
- AALS to present a scholarship in the amount of $1,000 and a grant in the amount of $1,000;
- 2013 Winter Business Meeting, hosted by White County LSP, will be held on January 11 & 12, 2013, at the Holiday Inn. Room rate of $109.99 with continental breakfast to be provided by the hotel. Registration to be $40/members and $60/non-members. Speakers will be Tosha Terry – Family Law; Justin Mercer – Criminal Law, and Judge Mark Pate, General Law;
- AALS annual meeting, hosted by GLRLSP to be held April 26-28, 2013, at the Wyndam in N. Little Rock. Room rate of $89.95/single + $10/each additional person. Registration to be $115/members and $135/non-members. Legal education to be cyber crime, mediation and office ethics.
- Ways & Means committee to sell chances to win a Kindle Fire with a value of $159. Tickets will be $1.00 each with sales to begin ASAP and end on December 15, 2012. Tickets will be e-mailed to the membership and are to be turned in to the committee by December 19. The drawing will be held on December 20 and will be videoed and available on the AALS website. A $100 gift card will be awarded to the member who sells the most tickets.
- Members voted to award a free full registration to the 2013 Winter Business meeting to a member attending the Fall Business meeting.
Under discussion items President Janet reported that AALS received a grant for $200 from the NALS Foundation for Continuing Professional Development which will be used on the Leadership Retreat in July.
Mimi Jumper, AALS President-Elect reported that members recruiting new members should be sure and put their membership number in the sponsor section of the application. The AALS member who recruits the most new members will be awarded $100 personally from Mimi and that member’s chapter will receive $100 from AALS to be used to help recruit new members.
A drawing was then held for the free registration to the Winter Business meeting and the winner was Janice Miller.
Danny Looney reported on the silent auctions and a total of $231.00 was received for AALS and $317.00 for NEALSP. AALS further netted $26.01 from “Lighten your Load” which will be deposited in the AALS general fund.
NEALSP won the “Blue Ribbon Award” for having the most Box Tops/Labels for Education (Woo Hoo!). This is a traveling award and will be up for grabs by all the local chapters at the Winter Business Meeting.
CLEC chair Danny Looney, reported that plans are underway for a March seminar to be held at the Axiom building, 601 3 St., in Little Rock, on March 16, 2013. Additional information will be forthcoming.
Mimi then presented the Host Committee Report and stated $1,330.00 was received from ads and registrations and after payment of $149.89 to the hotel for the hospitality suite and the meeting room, AALS will net approximately $590.05 and NEALSP will net approximately $590.05.
There being no further business, meeting was adjourned.
Sharon Davis, PLS
AALS State Director
NEALSP members present for all or part of this meeting were: Sharon Davis, PLS, Andrea Hicks, PLS, Mimi Jumper, Belinda Penn, PLS, Lisa Rookey, Brenda Welch, PLS, Kara
Whitehead, Donna Miller.